Friday, 12 April
Arrival of participants
Welcome reception and dinner
Saturday, 13 April
Noninflammatory blood vessel disorders
- CADASIL (cerebral autosomal dominant arteriopathy with subcortical infarcts and leucoencephalopathy)/CARASIL (cerebral autosomal recessive arteriopathy with subcortical infarcts and leucoencephalopathy)
- Fabry’s disease
- Fibromuscular dysplasia
- Moyamoya disease
- Case discussions
12:15 – 14:00
- MELAS (Mitochondrial encephalomyopathy, lactic acidosis, stroke-like episode)
- Reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome
- Sneddon’s syndrome
- Vasospasam after subarachoidal haemorrhage
Sunday, 14 April
08:30 – 09:30
Inflammatory blood vessel disorders
- Isolated angiitis of the central nervous system
- Susac syndrome
09:30 – 11:00
- Coagulation disorders
- Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome
- Sickle cell disease
11:30 – 13:00
- Migrenous stroke
- Bone diseases and stroke
13:00 – 15:00
15:00 – 16:00
16:00 – 16:30
Monday, 15 April
Participants and faculty will be accommodated at Hotel Drim, Struga (by the Ohrid lake), North Macedonia. Struga is a popular touristic destination situated in the south-western region of North Macedonia, lying on the shore of Lake Ohrid. The Black Drin river (Crn Drim) starts at the lake and divides the city.
Nearby, Ohrid is a city in North Macedonia on Lake Ohrid with a population of over 42,000 inhabitants. Ohrid is known for once having 365 churches, one for each day of the year, and has been referred to as a “Jerusalem of the Balkans”. The city is rich in picturesque houses and monuments, and tourism is predominant. Ohrid and Lake Ohrid were accepted as Cultural and Natural World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. They are famous for the Ohrid pearls and Ohrid trout.
The focused Workshop will be held at Hotel Drim located in Struga.
The closest international airports are Ohrid Airport (10 km) and Skopje Airport (202 km).
From Skopje airport, the Intercity bus station in Skopje is reachable by taxi (the fee is 1500 MKD = 25 EUR) or by bus (the fee is 199 MKD = 3.5 EUR). The distance from the airport to the Skopje intercity bus station/the city center is about 18 km.
Struga is approximately 180 km south-west from the capital Skopje, reachable by daily frequent bus lines that depart from the centrally located intercity bus station. A bus from Skopje intercity bus station to Struga takes about 3 hours and costs about 700 MKD (approximately 12 EUR) for a one way ticket or about 1100 MKD (approximately 18 EUR) for a round-trip ticket.
Prof. Anita Arsovska, MD, PhD, Neurologist
Ass. Prof. Danijela Vojtikiv Samoilovska, MD, PhD
Ass. Prof. Elena Simeonovska Joveva, MD, PhD
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
- Open to trainees and early career physicians working in neurovascular disease
- Applicants should be fluent in English
- Applicants are not required to be ESO Members
The organising committee will select participants based on their:
- Application documents
- Country of origin (not more than 2 participants per country; the host country may have 3 participants)
- The expected benefit to the individual and to his/her stroke unit and country
If there are available places, applications from non-European countries may be considered by the organisers. The list of participants will be approved by the ESO Executive Committee.
For successful applicants, tuition, accommodation, meals and coffee break costs are all covered. Participants are expected to cover their travel expenses to and from Struga and any personal expenses outside of the official programme. Accompanying persons are not permitted.
HOW TO APPLY
The application period for the ESO Focused Workshop 2024 is now open until 4 December 2023.
Interested applicants are requested to submit the following documents:
- Application form (available here)
- Personal statement of motivation (1/2 page)
- CV (1-2 pages)
- 1 letter of recommendation from a supervisor or Head of Department
Complete applications should be sent via email to the address indicated on the application form. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
The deadline to receive applications is 4 December 2023.